Shibui Furniture Collective is a furniture studio based in Singapore. Shibui(渋い) is a Japanese aesthetic term that draws upon quiet, subtle, elegant and unobtrusive qualities.
In an age of highly finished and sophisticated machine produced furniture, shibui comes particularly valuable. It celebrates the vagaries of the making process, the individuality of small imperfections and little traces left behind by the craftsman.
Drawing inspirations from the term shibui, Kim through Shibui Furniture Collective has an honest and simple purpose - to strive to achieve the shibui character in his furniture that will see through generations of use.
"The world may abound with different aspects of beauty. The lovely, the powerful, the gay, the smart—all belong to the beautiful. Each person, according to his disposition and environment, will feel a special affinity to one or another aspect. But when his taste grows more refined, he will necessarily arrive at the beauty which is shibui. Beauty cannot rest until it reaches this point."
– Soetsu Yanagi
- High Net Worth - Inside Shibui Furniture Collective with Kim Choy
- Lookbox Living Issue 54 - The Inspiration Issue
- INDESIGNLIVE.SG - Is it Art or Design?
- FEMALE Mag- Art After Dark
- ArtHop - Homing in: The Studio behind Shibui Furniture Collective
- Axis Mag - 勢いある若手クリエイターたちが集う「シンガプルーラル」
- Cromly - A Woodworker's Warm and Cosy Home
- Singapore Art Week 2017 - Design New Standard
- Art2 Gallery - "Everything Is __________."
- SingaPlural 2016 - A Blend of Senses